What do you mean by not "routing friendly"?  Do you mean that they don't
provide BGP peering?  Or, that they just don't really know what they are
doing...

Unless you have multiple upstream connections, there is (rarely) any reason
to do BGP peering yourself.  If you have your own ARIN block, most upstream
providers will announce it for you and route the traffic accordingly.

Where are/would you be doing the VPN?  This is an expensive route, since it
does mean that you are paying twice for traffic--once through your upstream
provider, again through the VPN endpoint (depending on your routing this
could actually be triple).  Especially given that you seem to be in close
proximity to Chicago, your best value / option is likely to get Internet
access in a data center and then get some sort of loop without Internet from
the data center to your network...  Most likely some sort of metro-ethernet
product is usually the most cost effective if you're dealing with 100Mb/s or
more, smaller connections change the economics drastically...

Clint Ricker
-Kentnis Tecnologies

On 9/5/07, Mike Hammett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My upstream isn't very routing friendly.  They're also having some issues,
> but I believe they'll have it figured out soon.  A VPN over their network
> solves all the current issues.
>
> Being as though they aren't routing friendly (and don't want to change
> their whole network to be routing friendly), they are flexible enough where
> I imagine that I could put a box at their upstream and VPN over their
> network so I can do BGP.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> -----
> Mike Hammett
> Intelligent Computing Solutions
> http://www.ics-il.com

> ** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at
> ISPCON **
> ** ISPCON Fall 2007 - October 16-18 - San Jose, CA   www.ispcon.com **
> ** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
> ** FREE Exhibits and Events Pass available until August 31 **
> ** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at
> http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

**