Ok so I pay you the extra to guarantee a certain minimum latency. I if I am connecting to a server on another network how will you provide that? You can not set the QoS for someone else's network much less 3 or 4 of them that my traffic has to cross to get to is final destination.

Jory Privett
WCCS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Forrest W. Christian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Feds OK fee for priority Web traffic

Jory Privett wrote:
Be careful what you wish for. What happens when your upstream say that your traffic goes to the bottom of queue unless you pay an extra $x,xxx.xx per moth? Will that make your customers happy? Can you afford an extra charge to make sure that your address space is in the fast lane?
I expect that 99% of the web traffic will continue exactly as it is....

The whole point of this is that customers are more and more demanding QoS guarantees that are almost impossible to produce without being able to charge more for them, and for some applications are required. I'll give you an example.... VoIP. In order for it to work well, VoIP packets need to be given priority. Unfortunately if you don't charge extra for this priority traffic, then a certain segment of your customer base will figure out how to tag *all* of their packets for priority use.

Gaming would be another example. During peak usage times, gamers suffer since latency goes up slightly just because links are in use. If the gamer (or a large gaming server) wants to pay extra for a latency guarantee (delivered by prioritizing packets ahead of others), then so be it.

It is extremely costly to provide a network which will provide *at all times* extremely low latency and jitter for *all* traffic. What most providers want to be able to do is to say to customers, "if a little added jitter and latency during peak times is unacceptable, then pay us extra for that traffic and we will guarantee that it will be put at the first of the line. If you don't pay us extra, your experience will continue to be about what it is today".

-forrest

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

**