I agree entirely. This matter has been settled it seems.

Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jack Unger
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 6:37 PM
To: WISPA General List
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Flexible antenna certification

Tom,

You asked quite a few questions and I can't address all of them so I'll
address the original question so WISPs can go about their business
without fear of being "busted" by the FCC.

1. Mike Hammett said that he thought he read that WISPs could use a
substitute antenna with the same or less gain as and the same in-band
and out-of-band radiation characteristics as an antenna that the
manufacturer originally certified a radio with.

2. Patrick Leary said that he thought so BUT ONLY IF the manufacturer
included that antenna make and model on a list of acceptable antennas as

part of the certification process.

3. I said that I thought that WISPs could use any substitute antenna of
the same or less gain and the same antenna type even if the manufacturer

didn't list it on the certification application. I agreed to check with
the lab that I work with to get THEIR INTERPRETATION.

4. I checked and the lab reported back that my understanding was
correct.

5. Marlon agreed to run this by the FCC and he did.

6. The FCC responded that my labs interpretation was correct.

7. Marlon asked the FCC AGAIN to verify that the above interpretation
was correct.

8. The FCC responded AGAIN that the interpretation was correct.

This statement has now been TRIPLE-CHECKED - once by the lab and twice
by the FCC. I think that WISPs can now go about their business knowing
that they are safe to use a substitute antenna of the same or less gain
and of the same antenna "type" (panels are panels, yagis are yagis,
dishes are dishes, etc.) than an antenna that the radio was originally
certified with. If anyone has any questions about this, please ask and
I'll try to clarify it further but it seems pretty clear to me.

IMHO, The FCC's not going to "come after" anyone for doing the above. No

one has any standing "in court" to argue with the above. Nobody is going

to "measure" the antenna to see if the vendor was truthful with their
spec. No WISP is going to have to "prove" that their antenna is in
compliance as long as they take responsibility for observing and
complying with the above conditions. The FCC is simplifying the in and
out of band requirements down to the "same antenna type" A third-party
antenna manufacturers spec sheet IS enough to relieve a WISP of
responsibility for the antenna characteristics.  The RESPONSIBILITY  is
ON THE WISP to use an antenna that has the same or less gain and is of
the same antenna type as the originally certified antenna, period. The
WISPs responsibility is clear. I think it's my responsibility to express

this clearly and I hope that I have.

I can't speculate about the answers to your other questions about why
specific manufacturers chose certain antennas to certify their equipment

with. I'd suggest that those questions be addressed directly to the
equipment manufacturers.
jack

Tom DeReggi wrote:
> Marlon,
>
> Sounds like good news, and that it pays to read the actual code,
> apposed to just on the fly FCC personel feedback.
> .
>> Section 15.204(c)(1) states that the antenna type refers to antennas
>> that
>> have similar in-band and out-of-band radiation patterns.  In other
>> words,
>> the antenna should match the same design that was used in
certification,
>> i.e., monopole, Yagi, dish, etc
>
> I think the grey area is how to define "similar in-band and
> out-of-band radiation patterns".
> As John mentioned it could be interpreted and simplified as "Yagi,
> Parabolic, Panel, etc".
> But is "interpreted" and "simplified to style antenna" good enough?
> I think its good enough, for a WISP to use as an arguement to defend
> themselves, if the FCC comes knocking on their door.
> I think its good enough, for a WISP to openly use third party antennas

> without fear the FCC will come after them.
> But not sure its good enough, if someone forced the issue in court,
> and/or the antenna does not perform within spec.
> Will a WISP be held accountable if they use an antenna that they
> THOUGHT was equvellent and "similar radiation patterns" and then turn
> out not to be?
> I beleive that if a WISP selected their own antenna brand to meet
> "similar radiation patterns", it would become the burden of the WISP
> to prove that compliance.
> There could be a situation where the WISP must pay to get a third
> party to certify the results of the specific antennas after the fact,
> to verify the WISP's claim, that it is "similar". I don't think a
> third party's manufacturer's spec sheet will be enough to relieve the
> WISP of responsibilty.
>
> By the Manufacturer providing a LIST of certified antennas, it puts
> the responsibilty on the manufacturer's shoulders, and relieves the
> WISP's liabilty.
>
> What interests me is.... Many of the OEM system's certifications were
> done with Lower gain antennas. (For example ADI's under 22dbin 5.8G)
> I'm wondering why they aren't getting the certifications for larger
> 32db Parabolics, so everything under it would also be certified? Is it

> the FCC that is only allowing them to certify the lower gain antennas,

> or is it the OEM manufacturer not realizing higher gain antennas need
> certification?
>
> For example... With a MESH system, certifying tri-band cards with Dual

> purpose AP, CPE or PTP, what antenna would be certifyable would depend

> on the use of the system. What is the FCC saying about this?
>
> Tom DeReggi
> RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
> IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

However,
>> Section 15.204(c)(1)-(3) permits the grantee to obtain certification
for
>> multiple antennas of the same type and up to whatever maximum
>> directional
>> gain level is tested.  Further, Section 15.204(c)(4) permits changes
>> to the
>> antenna to be made by anyone (the grantee, the user, the system
>> provider,
>> etc.) provided the antenna is of the same type and is of equal or
less
>> directional gain than the antenna with which the transmitter was
>> certified.
>> Section 15.204(c)(1) states that the antenna type refers to antennas
>> that
>> have similar in-band and out-of-band radiation patterns.  In other
>> words,
>> the antenna should match the same design that was used in
certification,
>> i.e., monopole, Yagi, dish, etc.  I recognize that this is a
simplified
>> approach, especially when considering some internal antenna designs,
>> but it
>> usually works.  Note that the use of a different type of antenna or
>> one with
>> higher gain puts you back to Section 2.1043 where only the grantee is
>> allowed to make changes to the equipment.  This also means that you
>> can not
>> just take a 100 mW output transmitter and add a 16 dBi gain antenna
>> to bring
>> the output up to 36 dBm.  It's quite possible that the transmitter
was
>> certified with a much lower gain (or different type of) antenna.
>>
>> I don't know what started the problems cited below but no one seems
>> to have
>> picked up on the changes permitted under Section 15.204(c)(4) - only
>> on the
>> grantee requirements under Section 15.204(c)(1) - (c)(3).
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> John A. Reed
>>

>> ________________________________

Maryland
>> was forced to change out dozens of antennas at tower sites because
they
>> chose an antenna that was not part of the certified combination, even
>> though the antenna did not violate power rules. At least this means
that
>> WISPs no longer have that risk.
>>
>> Patrick Leary
>> AVP, Market Development