From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John Valenti
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:57 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] RF propagation map: WiFi vs WiMax?

Just curious if anyone has seen a coverage map that compares WiFi and
WiMax?

I spent a little bit of time researching WiMax, but decided I would
be unlikely to have a license and to just go with what I have that
mostly works (unlicensed). But I would like to know what WiMax means
in a rural, tree filled environment.

As a novice WISP (about 18 months now), I can only hope for good
coverage with 2.4GHz to maybe a mile. A rare house might have LOS
farther than that, but generally there will be enough trees in the
way by a mile to block my signal.  (this is using farm grain legs/
silos for the AP, so maybe 150' max AGL)   If I switch to 900MHz,
maybe the distance gets out to 2.5 miles.

Would a 2.5GHz Wimax AP push the signal much better thru trees?  I
suppose it would make a difference what was at the customer end - a
laptop with a WiMax card vs a fixed, outdoor radio.  And does AP
height help a lot?  I don't see an advantage to paying commercial
tower rates to get above 200' in my situation, but maybe that changes
with WiMax.
--------

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at
ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

--------

computer viruses(190).

computer viruses(43).

 This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by PineApp
Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses(84).

viruses.

**