Scottie Arnett wrote:

Forgot to mention...if BT clients would not come with deafult connections
set at 500 to 1000, I might allow it to. That is where it kills our
equipment...the connections, not the bandwidth.

Concur, and THAT is why I limit p2p traffic on my network.

Frankly, I couldn't care less what my customers are downloading, only how they're downloading it.

We all know that some really big percentage of p2p traffic is the sharing of copyrighted material that may be illegal to share, but saying that's the reason for throttling p2p traffic is probably pretty thorny, from a legal standpoint. Explaining it in technical terms (all these connections kills the tower and annoys other users) is safer, and as a bonus is completely true. It's actually more effective on many of my customers, who suddenly realize that the folks being affected by their selfish p2p downloads are friends and neighbors. Psychology, used correctly, can be just as effective as a Packeteer.

David Smith
MVN.net

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **