Yeah, I've got a competitor that advertises "12 mbps" speeds. He's doing standard low-end wifi. Yes, the over-the-air speed might be theoretically 12, but I ain't ever seen it.

Chuck

 > Behalf Of Travis Johnson
 Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:28 PM
 To: WISPA General List
 Subject: [WISPA] Advertising

 Hi,

 This issue with ComCast and their p2p connection blocking brings up
 another issue I would like to discuss... false advertising.

 I have a competitor that is selling "up to 4meg down by 1meg up" for
 $34.95 with free installation and no contract. Another competitor is
 doing "up to 2meg" for $39.95... yet, when I purchased their service
 and
 did speed tests, the fastest I ever got was 500kbps. At what point is
 there a "false advertising" claim to be made against these companies
 that are advertising service that can NEVER been achieved at any time
 on
 their network?

 I would think if you did speed tests every hour, 24 hours per day for a
 week and never got within 90% of their claimed speed, there could be a
 case. The damages would be in customers that are switching from my
 service to theirs based on their advertising claims. Each customer
 should be worth at least 12x the monthly revenue based on current
 market
 values.

 Anyone else agree? Or am I way off base here?

 Travis
 Microserv
 ---------

 ** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007
 at ISPCON **
 ** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
 http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

 ---------

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

Chuck Bartosch
Clarity Connect, Inc.
200 Pleasant Grove Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 257-8268

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

**