HYPERLINK "http://www.wispa.org/?p=129"Travis Johnson and Microserv
Technologies awarded 2007 WISPA Best WISP Operator Award

Recently WISPA held its biannual reception at the ISPCON conference in San
Jose, California. The highlight of this reception was the announcement of
the winner of the Best WISP Operator Award.  This year’s selection was
Travis Johnson of Microserv Technologies in Idaho Falls, Idaho. WISPA
President Matt Larsen awarded Travis with a plaque and commended him on his
dedication and fine service to the industry and his customers.  Last year,
Mac Dearman won the first award.  In the photo below, Mac is shown
congratulating Travis on the award.

Microserv began as a dial-up ISP in 1994 in Idaho Falls, Idaho, population
45,000. In our region, phone calls only 15 miles away from our main POP were
considered long-distance, so we began installing small, local dial-up POPs
to cover these areas. In 1997, we discovered the magic of wireless internet.
We began by using Lucent Wavelan 900mhz ISA cards installed in PC’s running
a DOS based routing program. The service was sold as “up to T1 speed” and
was easily sold to businesses that were paying four times as much for their
T1.
Our next wireless path began by using Lucent Orinoco PCMCIA cards installed
in ISA adapters. These used 2.4ghz and were able to deliver up to 5Mbps of
bandwidth. We began growing our wireless footprint to include more and more
areas, based on getting access to more and more towers.
At this point we had hundreds of wireless customers, but were beginning to
run out of spectrum. It was around 2001 when we heard of a new wireless
company called Sunstream Wireless. They were beta testing a new 5.8ghz
product that would deliver 10Mbps at the AP and to each customer. We quickly
became a beta tester and began installing radios. The company was then
forced to change their name, so they went back to their parent company name
of Trango. We continued to grow and expand using Trango products. We
currently have 900mhz, 2.4ghz, 5.3ghz and 5.8ghz Trango products. Our
network now consists of 65 wireless towers with over 150 AP’s. All of our
towers are backhauled to our main NOC in Idaho Falls using point to point
radios using 5.3ghz, 5.8ghz, 18ghz (licensed) and 38ghz. We cover from the
Utah border to Island Park, Idaho (200 miles north to south) and from Arco,
Idaho to Jackson Hole, Wyoming (150 miles east to west).
Microserv now consists of 25 employees. We provide wireless, DSL and fiber
internet access along with web hosting, PC repair and on-site network
support. We are a small company and every employee is valued. Our strength
is our customer service and local support. We are locally owned and operated
with no outside influence or investors. We enjoy living in our small
community and look forward to providing the best internet service available.

WISPA is a 501c6 Not-For-Profit Trade Association representing wireless
Internet providers in the US and other countries. The association lobbies
the FCC, Federal Government and State Governments for positive influences on
wireless industry regulation. The association is owned by its membership and
is governed by an elected Board of Directors.

WISPA also held a raffle of many vendor donated items at the reception. The
raffle was very well received and obtained much needed recognition for the
vendor contributors. Membership in WISPA can be achieved by going to
http://signup.wispa.org and filling out the form. A representative of WISPA
will contact each potential member to verify information and discuss which
membership level is appropriate and what you think WISPA can do for you.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:35 AM

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **