From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gino Villarini
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:41 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Which UPS to use?

Eric,

Whats the DC output on the OPS-DC?

Gino A. Villarini
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Aeronet Wireless Broadband Corp.
tel  787.273.4143   fax   787.273.4145
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Albert
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:09 PM
To: WISPA General List

This seems like a good opportunity to lob in a sales pitch of sorts. But I will
disguise it as an engineering discussion to appease the tech crowd. I will
preface my comments by saying I do not know the original application for which
this question was posed.

Most of the gear (there are exceptions) in our business, in the end run on DC
power. Our radios are a good example. The chassis based BS-AU can run on -48
VDC power supplies and supply the necessary DC voltages to the cards and ODUs.
The process of running a UPS (which in application is a battery powering an
inverter) only to knock down the 120VAC into DC seems overkill.  The process is
inefficient, generates heat and can be expensive. This process is commonly
known as the double-conversion method.

Side bar: some UPS units, not all, don't handle power correction. They will
kick on during under/over voltage situations but they do little to correct for
the quality of the power. Over time poor AC power quality will chip away at the
MTBF of everything connected to it. I have also heard that many of the more
popular UPS units have trouble with generators, especially the generators that
have automatic throttles.  If the quality of the generated power is poor it
will burn up the MOVs that are in place at the input side of the UPS. But I
digress...

I think the Telcos have had it right for some time. Although how they got there
is another discussion. But in the end DC power affords you some options. A
properly engineered DC power plant will take the brunt of "bad" power and
isolate it from your gear. The rectifiers take the hit so to speak and the
batteries don't care. Any power events such as brownouts, surges or blackouts
don't get telegraphed to the radio equipment. Another point worth noting is the
availability of modular-based rectifiers and battery chargers. Lots of options.
(I have even seen hydrogen fuel cell units in place a major POPs. Really cool
gear.)

One WISP who has employed this design had a long outage that almost drained the
batteries. They pulled a pickup truck with a full tank of gas up to the site
and topped off the DC string. Others have taken the approach of using
wind/solar/hydro/utility.

Also, if you can build a POP on nothing but DC, think of how much energy you
will save just by cutting out the wasted heat that an inverter (or UPS)
creates. If the design calls for a cabinet, chances are you will not back-up
the air conditioner. Where does all that heat go during a long outage? (DC fans
anyone?)

Here is the sales pitch. Alvarion manufactures several options in the DC genre.
We have the aforementioned -48VDC PS for the BS-SH chassis solution. When you
design a system with one radio family (i.e. VL) redundant power supplies can be
implemented at the tower.

And now, for the Pièce de résistance, we have a DC standalone power supply for
VL. It is the OPS-DC. Its input range is 10.5 to 32 VDC and draws less than 1A
at 24VDC. Slightly more draw at 12VDC. The temperature range is -31 to +131F.
Why all the hoopla? A DC battery charger with a good deep cycle battery and the
OPS-DC could run a VL sector for... well, a really long time.

This idea will certainly not work for everyone or for every design. But it sure
is fun to imagine the possibilities. I hope to hear some creative responses.
Thanks for reading.

Eric

Eric Albert
Application Engineer