An experimental license allows you to test systems, spectrum, or
techniques that otherwise aren't normally allowed.

I know of a number of service providers that used their 3650
experimental licenses for commercial service. As I understand it,
commercial operations aren't DISALLOWED by the Part 5 experimental
license rules. What those rules DO state is that the Part 5 license
doesn't give you any special preference whatsoever when the FCC deems
that the period of your experimental license is up... like it would be
now that the 3650 rules are set and commercial service is commencing.

Those experimental deployments that I heard about were PMP for
backhaul and for access for business customers; I haven't heard of any
3650 residential deployments, though that would be feasible using 3.5
Fixed WiMAX CPE that has been updated for 3650 rules.

It was kept pretty quiet, except with the vendors that were supplying
"experimentally compliant" 3650 gear, but there were MANY larger
Broadband Wireless Internet Access Service Providers who used
experimental licenses similar to Covad's rationale quoted in Dylan
Oliver's message. While all those deployments had to be similarly
couched in "yes, we acknowledge it's experimental..." language, they
all used such systems for commercial, revenue service... THAT was the
"experiment" - to see if it was feasible, economical, and reliable. It
worked; looks like 3650 will be quite the success, especially with the
mandated coordination / non-interference between competing service
providers in urban areas.

Thanks,

Steve

--
Steve Stroh
Editor / Analyst, Stroh Publications LLC