> > What is considered a large number of connections?
> > How many connections is it safe to limit to, without compromising a user's
> > typical usage.
> > Would this be an effective way of determining when a class of plan is
> being
> > abused, such as a business using a residential plan, or a small community
> > WISP trying to use a single residential plan conneciton?
> > Is it possible that we need to start charge for "number of connections"
> > instead of just say the number of bytes transfered or speed?
>
> My nephew and I occassionally play BF2142 online.  My Linksys DD-WRT
> based router had a problem.  It had max ports set out 512.  When my PC
> then his polled hundreds of servers to find the best connection it hit
> that limit.  Raising it to 1024 seemed to fix it.
>
> So limiting connections will likely smack gamers as well as p2p users.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Keep in mind that when a gamer opens 1024 connections within a few seconds,
> he will have a detrimental effect on any wireless network and severe effect
> on those wireless networks that do not use polling (i.e. 802.11 based
> systems).  So as a network operator, you may still be interested in limiting
> resource availability for that sort of application.

We run Canopy.  When a gamer does this they usually find a server and
do not have to run another scan for quite some time.  Where p2p does
this crap all day long.  P2p is also a bandwidth hog and we have
limited resources there due to the wireless loop and we deploy in
rural areas where bandwidth is pricey.

Matt