CHUCK PROFITO wrote:

My question:  will a Linux based system run the apps we would need for
service personnel? Does this unit have enough power to do an install. @ $400
for 2, we, WISPA, could do a lot of good, if they would work for our service
personnel.

The OLPC would be a very poor fit for this sort of thing, I imagine. The CPU is from years ago, hard disk (actually, flash) is very slim - I think 1GB, maybe even less - and no onboard Ethernet. The CPU and onboard RAM is probably sufficient for configuring most gear, as long as it's done through a browser and not with proprietary software.

If you went to the trouble of wiping the pre-installed version of Linux and replacing it with a "stock" distribution, and could keep things light enough to fit on the small onboard storage, it'd be doable. The question really is whether the time you'd have to spend would be better spent elsewhere.

As someone else mentioned, the Eee might be a good fit, if your eyes are in good shape (a 7" screen is smaller than you think).

David Smith
MVN.net