From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:27 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 5.8 vertical antenna w downtilt

Yes, to not use an Omni, but to use an Array.

Max Rad made some of the first ones for 2.4G.
Hyperlinktech makes some 4 sector arrays for 5.8Ghz.
If needing only Verticle polarity, this is easy. Thats the configuration
they sell them in.
Will probably cost you around $600, for the kit with all antennas and the
combiner.
You could always make your own.

With a mount hieght of only 50 ft though, not sure why this is a problem, if

you are only needing to extend 1/10th of a mile coverage.
A nice 10dbi Omni with 2 deg elect downtilt, Proxim makes one, or Tessco's
terrawave Omni, would probably work just fine for that application.

For such short range, even a 7-9db antenna would be fine, giving you a
plenty large enough verticle beamwidth and high enough power.
If its not good enough because of NLOS foliage or Noise, I'd argue you
shouldn't be using an Omni in the first place.

If a low bandwdith applications, as perfect application for a StarOS system,

using 4 radios (or 3 radio in this app), each on their own 5 Mhz channel,
using directional antennas using the Front to back ratio advantage, buying
verticle pol  120 deg sector antennas for under $150 each. Its sometimes
easier to do that, than get 1 channel to survive the noise in all
directions.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband