In hindsight I wish I had time to gather details, but under the
circumstances we didn't.
First off, that link is a PtP link to our shop. The AP end is a war2
with 1 cm9 and the client/shop end it's a war4 with only 2 cm9 cards
active, one being a 5 gig omni that I use when I pull up in my truck
with my laptop. And it serves a couple very small business customers.
Hopefully more in the future.

I pulled up yesterday and started checking my mail. All of a sudden I
noticed things were not going so well. So I tired to ssh into the shops
war but couldn't get past the password. So I logged into the AP end of
the link where I noticed in the association list 3,900 to 4,000
something kbps. It struck me as odd but figured maybe one of us was
downloading something big. Then it dawned on me, in Star in the
association list it shows you active  bandwidth transfer columns, but
they may say kbps, but actually it's BYTES not bits.

So I hit print screen. Before I got a chance to open up paint, my co
pilot in my truck came out and asked me if my net was working because
the shops wasn't. So I explained to him there was 4k BYTES and someone
was downloading something. So he went inside and started unplugging
various ethernets from the switch and finally rebooted the war board.

We were in a hurry and were not thinking about anything but getting to
the next job.

I did though when I realized there was nothing to paste into paint, open
up cacti and snap a screen capture of the interface of the tower router.
That router is also fed by a 5 gig PtP 20MHz link to a water tank with
another 5gig PtP link going to my temp noc which has a FSo PtP link to
across the street to the fiber where I have a 100meg fiber feed to the
Pittock Building in Portland.

Here's Portland:

http://www.oregonfast.net/gofast/30megs/30megsPortland2.JPG

Actually it wasn't anyone downloading, it was something sending.
Probably an infected pc on the bench in my pc repair shop.

Not sure what virii is made up of, but thats all I can think of that
would cause such an upload.

Travis Johnson wrote:
> Are you using compression on the link?
>
> I've never heard of a product that can deliver 3:1 on bandwidth vs.
> spectrum.
>
> Travis
> Microserv
>
> George Rogato wrote:
>> http://www.oregonfast.net/gofast/30megs/30megs.JPG
>>
>> This afternoon while I was at the shop I noticed the internet was very
>> sluggish. So I opened up an ssh session into the tower ap that is
>> serving  my shop. It was saying 3,900 to 4,000 something kbps in the
>> interface. I was thinking for a second, hey thats BYTES not bits in
>> star, 32 megs.
>>
>> Not sure who was pushing that much traffic, maybe a virus infected pc on
>> the bench.
>>
>> But this was a Star-os war4 at 5.8 10MHz wide channel PtP

George Rogato

Welcome to WISPA

www.wispa.org