I just ran across this article:
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6546054.html

The National Association of
Broadcasters<http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6545858.html>said
Friday that the news that the Federal Communications Commission would
no longer test a
Microsoft<http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6539682.html>device
being used to determine the feasibility of sharing digital-TV
spectrum with unlicensed wireless devices was the third strike against the
devices, while defenders of the devices said it was all part of the testing
process.

"In baseball, it's three strikes and you're out," NAB spokesman Dennis
Wharton <http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6544336.html>said
Friday of the news that the Microsoft device had "unexpectedly shut
down," as the NAB said Microsoft had characterized it. "How many strikes
does Microsoft get? If they can't get the device to work in the lab, how are
they going to get it to work in the real world?"

The NAB pointed out that the FCC's decision not to test the device followed
a power failure for an earlier Microsoft device, which Microsoft itself
withdrew from testing<http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6531144.html>,
and the FCC's initial testing that found the devices caused interference and
did not sufficiently sense the presence of TV signals and wireless
microphones.

The Wireless Innovation
Alliance<http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6531144.html>,
which represents computer companies backing the devices, said the "three
strikes" metaphor was a red herring. "This is not a pass/fail proposition,"
alliance spokesman Brian Peters said. "The goal of this testing is not to
certify any final consumer 'device' or even identify one approach as better
than another."

He maintained that Microsoft's device "produced valuable information for
engineers at the FCC," although he added that it was "unfortunate that the
device will no longer be tested."

However, there are a number of test devices [including Motorola] still
providing the FCC with the information it needs to produce effective
guidelines for the development of white-space technology, and testing should
continue as planned, he said.

Google <http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6544227.html> proposed
what it said is a compromise plan for sharing the band, but the NAB and
wireless-microphone makers, which also use the spectrum at issue, rejected
it.

Visit us @
www.StLBroadband.com
314-974-5600