Yes. If you are doing Gigs of traffic, peering make sense. Maybe even with a
few 100mbps, depending on the capacity sold to customers.

But there can also be disadvantages with peering with host sites....

1) Flooding.  When they don't have a cost to you, they are more likely to
flood you with their traffic. For example, taking away per session limts or
more advertizing soliciation traffic.

2) Higher expense, if cross connect cost more than average data usage to
them via your transit.  For example, $10/mb transit, means must do 37mbps of
data to the host to at a $370 cross connect charge.

3) More congestion if on a public peering switch (single cross conenct).

4) Slower speeds to the Peer, if only justify a lower capacity connection to
peer.  Forexample, a 100mbps transit link at 10% usage will perform at
90mbps to anyone, yet 10- 10mbps peers only get 10mbps max to each
destination.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband