G.726 @ 32 kbps should be a lossless ADPCM transcoding of  normal PCM G.711.
I have listened to many codec and vocoder tests over the years and I could
never hear the difference between PCM and ADPCM.  I think that the 32k
variant conveys all of the same data as uncompressed PCM.  Nice thing is it
runs at half the speed.

PCM (for those who don't know) samples the voice 8000 times a second and
sends an 8 bit representation of the analog level of the audio at the time
of the sample.  That is how you get 64 kbps.  (robbed bit signaling takes 1
bit out of every frame for signaling so many times we used to actually get
56kbps)

The analog level codes are not linear, they are skewed to give more
resolution at the lower audio levels in a process called companding.
Companding significantly improves the signal to noise ratio.  That is what
they are referring to when they talk about mu law or A law PCM (or G.711).
You have to have the right companding code selected or it will sound like
UFOs have landed and are taking over.  I have never been able to hear the
difference between mu and A law companding either.  A law was an
international standard, mu law is used for US and Japan.

ADPCM takes the same data of PCM and then transmits only the difference
between samples, not the samples themselves.  So, all the data is recovered
but it requires a lower rate of transmission.  There are variants of ADPCM
that came along later to give even lower data rates.  If you use G.726 make
sure to select the 32 kbps if you are interested in keeping the voice
quality up there.  There is a 40 kbps option for G.726.  I don't have a clue
as to what it is about.