Right. The WISP then has the option of sending the AP or CPE to a
certification lab with several different types of higher-gain outdoor
antennas to get a new FCC ID number (a new certification) in /*your*/
company name. The cost is less than certifying without using the
already-certified card because many of the RF tests do not need to be
repeated because they were already done by the original manufacturer.
The cost to do this depends on the number of antenna types tested but
could run between $1800 (one or two antennas) to $2800 (more antennas).

jack

Tom Sharples wrote:
> That is true only if the original modular radio was tested with an antenna
> of equal or greater gain. You'll want to look at the FCC filings that go
> with that radio; bring up the detail page and look at the test photos. Quite
> often you'll find that these modular radios were only tested with a low-gain
> rubber-duck omni.
>
> Tom Sharples
> Qorvus Systems, Inc.

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
Cisco Press Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
Vendor-Neutral Wireless Design-Training-Troubleshooting-Consulting
FCC License # PG-12-25133 Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackunger>
Phone 818-227-4220  Email <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>