Sadly, I have to agree. The incumbents want to own the "pipe" so that
they can control what goes over it and milk as much profit as possible
from their "pipe". Supposedly it's done to "benefit" the stockholder but
everyone else will be getting screwed. That's the way business is done
in this day and age. They can't take over the "pipe" all at once because
people would howl bloody murder so they take it away a little bit at a
time so people don't catch on until it's too late. For more perspective,
one might want to read about "How to boil a frog".
<http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/frogboil.asp>

jack

Tom DeReggi wrote:
> It can and will happen.  There have been plans to take over/Hijack  the
> Internet since day 1. Microsoft being one of the early entities that tried
> and failed to accomplish it, by purposely modifying standard protocols with
> microsoft standards to be integrated into the TCP Stack. Its happens already
> with Smart cell phone. Are developers really that stupid that that its taken
> them 10 years to get a cell ohone that will work on TCPIP, when instead they
> try to sell proprietary portals to controlled content.  Look who is buying
> up the INternet? Cable companies! Same with Whitespaces, The Broadcasters
> are proposing to keep the spectrum, so they can be the next Wireless
> provider. BUyers with years of history with the mentality charging for
> content, and packaging content based on the the most profitable offer.
>
> The only way to stop it is to enable competition. And the only way to keep
> it enabled is to subsidize it, to make sure it stays.
>
> Sure they can block all sites. They can steal your Email customers in about
> 2 weeks if they want to.  All they have to do is block your domain,
> pretending you are a spammer, and refuse to unblock you, and in two weeks
> your Email customers will be gone.  They can do the same with your web
> content.  Who ever has the majorit market share of customer sites with
> limited options, will be in control.
>
> Anti-Trust protection is the failure of the regulators. Bundling will kill
> everyone else. Verizon is doing it now... Get a discount on your home
> broadband, if you buy their cell phone service.
> If Verizon has your cell phone business, they will get your broadband. AT&T
> had followed sute, or vice versa. Are you a cell phone provider? Will you be
> able to compete?  Why do you think Comcast was interested in investing in
> Clearwire?  Comcast isn't a cell phone carrier yet. They are at a
> disadvantage.  Verizon used to be at a disadvantage because they didn't
> offer TV.
>
> As long as legislators do not distinguish the difference between different
> communication services/providers, and allows cross platform bundling,
> Independant providers will die, Not only the Free Internet. Everyone knows
> the money is in the content, when you control access to what content people
> can get to. They only want what they know exists, what they are allowed to
> know is available. The first step to controlling the content, is controlling
> the pipe, to force the content.
>
> And I can tell you for sure, that IPowers message would not have been
> allowed to air on Verizon Broadband TV.
>

> Tom DeReggi
> RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
> IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
Cisco Press Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
Vendor-Neutral Wireless Design-Training-Troubleshooting-Consulting
FCC License # PG-12-25133 Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackunger>
Phone 818-227-4220  Email <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>