Eric Merkel wrote:
> We use the barracuda's and are gennerrally happy with the performance .
> We're running 500K plus thru a pair of 400's. We have had performance issues
> at times but if you pay for their instant replacement they'll swap out your
> hardware. What I find somewhat bogus is the 400 they sold us a couple years
> ago is not the same as what they are selling today. We just got a 400
> replaced last week and the new unit came with 16G of memory and 10K drives.
> The old unit had a 1G of memory and slower drives and I'm sure much slower
> processor.

Pairing them up like that is what I've done.  They run quite ok in that
configuration.  Expensive, but solid.

I'm still guessing (on what little I know from the orginal poster) that
a managed Postini solution is up his alley.

> In any case, if you really are strapped for cash, I would recommend checking
> out MailScanner http://www.mailscanner.info/ . This software is highly
> configurable and works quuite well so your only cost would be hardware and
> your time to configure. If you are comfortable with Linux and the command
> line this would be a good option for you. We're using mailscanner for our
> outbound processing as well as inbound/outbound for our web hosting domains
> with good results.

Some like mailscanner even better, as it allows you to check mail (if I
remember right) with up to like a dozen AV scanners before it hits your
MTA.  Here is more on the AV settings

http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#anti-virus

Their overall documentation is very good, IMO

http://www.mailscanner.info/documentation.html

While zen.spamhaus is one of the more conservative solutions, you might
sometimes get some false positives.  (I personally have no problems
blocking *all* MTAs listed by SpamHaus)

You'll probably have more success blocking per spam URIs.

e.g. http://www.surbl.org/

Stay away from greylisting unless you're really wanting to get your
hands dirty!  I set that up a while ago and had some major problems with
gmail email getting snagged.  Eventually things sort themselves out, but
in the interim, you will have a lot of really pissed customers!

HTH!