Trango is a very opportunistic company ran by a smart and opportunistic
individual, and Z tends to chase the market that makes Z the most money (can't
really blame him, as every small business / entrepreneur ultimately employs a
similar type of strategy)...at this juncture, their cheap licensed backhaul is
probably creating more buzz and profitability for them than trying to develop a
multi-point line in a market that's currently racing to the bottom...

Think about it, if you were a radio manufacturer, and you could sell a $8-10k
backhaul to a single customer that probably has the same amount (if not more)
of margin vs selling several hundred SUs to about 30-50 different WISPs, which
would you pick?

That said, the good news about Trango is that they're privately held (by Z),
profitable, and not really in danger of going out of business...the only thing
you can blame them for is not being true to their promises in 2004/2005 about
an upgrade path for their multi-point product line

So yell at them for not being willing to take a "longer-term" view of the
market, but with the rapid change in today's market, is this really even
possible?

Broken promises in telecom are nothing new

Motorola's No-SM left behind program (that got "left behind" with the Canopy
400 series product)
Wi-LAN's WiMAX Upgrade Guarantee (they went out of business and I doubt EION
Wireless is going to honor those contracts)
Remember KarlNet?

Think that's bad...look elsewhere in the Telecom market...anyone ever heard of
CopperCom =)

-Charles

WiNOG Wireless Roadshows
Coming to a City Near You