My experience is that you'll get around 500 feet of solid foliage.

If you're trying to go 5 miles, you have to get the antennas WAY up in the
air, or you get serious Fresnel zone losses.   This means that 900 mhz is
actually somewhat limited to smaller cells than you'd think otherwise.
Yes, I've gotten through a 1/4 mile of trees, but that quarter mile of trees
had the cpe antenna on one side, a canyon on the other, with the base
station at the far side of the canyon.    On the otherh and, I have a client
at .7 miles from the AP, and it picks up both the AP at .7 miles and one
almost 20 miles away at the same RSSI, because there's fresnel zone
encroachment between the AP and the client.   I tried in town, and found
that 3 city blocks was the limit for a low mounted AP antenna.   I could
pick it up 3 miles away,  at -90 but RSSI didn't really improve or
association until I got to around 3 blocks, where the signal was -85.  At 4
blocks, it was still -90.   In other words, this stuff spreads as low level
noise one heck of a long ways.   We also found that diffraction was going on
strangely and that RSSI was often higher pointed somewhere OTHER than the
exact direction of the AP when the terrain was mountainous.  And, under
those conditions, extremely variable, as in '75 one moment and -91 30
seconds later.

I find that rain changes the RSSI when going through foliage, and not
insignifcant  amounts, either.   Snow improved it, rain reduced it.  Can't
explain why.

However, when 2.4 wouldn't even be seen due to trees/foliage, 900 mhz has
worked very well.  Again, distances tend to be limited not as much by
foliage, but by fresnel issues.

Also, I find 900 mhz interference to be common in the middle absolutely
NOWHERE, as well as in town.

Utilities, government, farmers, even homeowners with 900 mhz phones will
cause you grief.

The good news, is that XR9's and Star-OS, at least, get you pretty darn good
throughput for a 5 mhz channel.   Just keep the RSSI up and the rates will
run 36 - 54 and you can feed several 2 mbit customers without them ever
impacting each other signifcantly.   XR9's have modular FCC approval and
either make it visible by use a clear lid (like I do) or tag the box with
"contains FCC ID blah blah inside".   XR9's also perform MUCH better than
SR9's do.

<insert witty tagline here>