Matt,

I agree with almost everything you said... except the polling part. Having a robust, efficient polling system is the best thing available for outdoor wireless. That is one of the main reasons we are now using Mikrotik is because of their Nstreme and polling system. We are finding now it's not the same quality as Trango's polling, but it does work.

How else do you keep a single customer from taking down an entire AP with a large upload (usually from an infection, virus, worm, etc.)? I have tested this over and over and over, and every time I come back to the same conclusion... you have to have a polling system to control the upload, otherwise the customer with the best signal dominates the AP (on the upload side).

Here is a very simple test... set up an AP with two connected clients without polling. Start an upload on one client and then try doing a download or even a ping from the 2nd client. My tests show the download and/or ping to be very unreliable and very sporadic. Now, if you turn polling on and do the same test, everything works fine while the upload is running and the 2nd client can't even tell there is an upload running.

What we really need is the Nanostation-ROS... a Nanostation running Mikrotik (even for $50 more per unit)... that would be the killer CPE... I would place an order for 500 right now today. :)

Travis
Microserv

Matt Larsen - Lists wrote:
Hi Travis,

I'm with you - the Nanostations are a pretty amazing product.   I've
been deploying Nanostations on 10mhz channels in 2.4 and 5ghz with
StarOS access points and the performance/interference resistance is
pretty amazing at ANY price point.   I could say the same thing for the
newer Tranzeo CPE units as well, but they can't match up with the
Ubiquity price point just yet.

It is neat to see a product with many of the Canopy advantages (rich
features, small footprint, inexpensive to produce, good interference
resistance) that is compatible with the 802.11a/b/g standards and thus
able to take advantage of the very innovative Mikrotik and StarOS
platforms.

I'm curious to see if someone comes up with a good reflector for the
Nanostation radios.  That would enable the use of the adaptive antenna
mode, and since StarOS has the ability to switch connectors on the fly -
and potentially polarity if hooked up to a dual-pol antenna - you would
end up with a standards based product that would have nearly every
feature that the Trangos had that made them special (noise threshold at
the AP, software switchable polarity, site survey, etc).   No polling,
but that is one of the most overrated features anyway.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com

Travis Johnson wrote:

Hi,

I would agree... I think there is an opportunity as well. There are some
new products in the market recently (Ubiquiti Nanostation) that could
shake things up a little. Getting an FCC product with PoE and a Ubiquiti
quality radio for $79 is pretty amazing (I will be testing some this
coming week). It really makes you wonder how much money some of these
companies can really have into a radio system (Trango, Canopy, etc.)
when Ubiquiti can sell a brand new product for $79 MSRP. Granted there
are not a lot of "bells and whistles", but honestly most of the WISP's
out there don't need that. If you can buy a radio for $79, you can put
whatever you need behind it (Cisco, Mikrotik, etc.) and still be less
than $200 for a nice CPE.

I think Trango's first mistake was the "mesh" game they played for a
year. Then when they decide to get back into the game, they promise a
product that seems too good to be true... and now it turns out, it was.
So, they are now 2+ years behind everyone else in the R&D world, and
they are losing customers left and right. The licensed market may help
get them by for a while, but I don't think that is enough business to
sustain the company forever.

Travis

Charles Wu wrote:

Travis,

I agree with you 100%...I still think there's a huge opportunity in the market right now that's being missed for a solid 2nd player (not Motorola Canopy) in the last-mile access space

However, neither you nor I run Trango

If you step back and look at the situation, this discussion is pretty interesting, coming from 2 people who really know Trango well-- we were their largest distributor back before they got rid of the channel, and you probably operate one of the largest Trango networks now

That said, you've started building out your network with different access solutions, and we're doing other stuff

It looks like we've both moved on...

-Charles