What the manufacturer's are missing is a very basic key principle.....

Lets look at Blackberry for a second. Whats so good about them? Talking
about a minimal weak layer of added value.  They offer "Push Email".  HUGE
HUGE impact in productivity.
But the thing is this is not a new unique idea, nor is it a hard thing to
implement.  Proabably anyone of us could write scripts on our own mail
servers to do similar things to our Email users.
But because Blackberry is smart enough to realize that this tiny tiny
enhancement make all the difference in the world, Blackberry is taking over
the high end cell phone market.  I don't have stats, but I bet more Business
users have Blackberrys than  Sprint and ATT direct plans.  (Note: Peter R.
brought this up at last ISPCON.)

Wireless manufacturers need to realize the same thing. Little things make
all the difference. The Wifi market is getting competitive nowadays with
things like the NanoStation for $75.
But I tell you, that is the race to the bottom. ARG not another system with
a 7db CPE antenna :-(

But for the quality market, a high end product is very much in demand still,
and would sell itself.  I have never once flenched at paying $500-$700 for a
CPE, in our urban markets.
I'm just tired of buying junk.

Ironically, I have a radio lnik that has been failing at one of my sites.
I've replace everything twice. Still no luck, it locks up ever now and then.
My solution was, I'm jsut going to replace it with another brand and avoid
any further troubleshooting. Then this Email's point became evident. What
was I going to put there? I could put canopy, but to slow, because I have
two buildings to serve each one has a 5mbps FDX customer, plus a couple
other small use subs.  I don't want to go PTP, because I ahve two buildings
to hit, and I'm running out of available spectrum and space to mount
antennas.  I considered Alvarion, but who wants to pay $7000 for the AP, and
$3000 for 2 APs, in order to get 54mbps modualtions radios, and give the
next 6 months of profit away?
I have alot of APs up there and lots of noise. I thought of putting OEM
units, but with out the ability to do SCANS that pick up non-wifi, its to
risky to not be able to manage my network fast enough.  At the end of the
day, I left the Trango up there, and bought a $150 auto ping reboot device.
My point being.... There are many products that give decent speed and decent
price, but there wasn't one product on the market that I could find, that
gave decend price and decent speed, that ALSO had the ability to do SCANs
that picked up non-Wifi devices. This is a HUGE feature because it allows me
to hear my other Trango APs, and lets me know what channel I can switch to
that will less likely destroy one of my other links, if I run into
interference, and ahve to switch channels.

My point is... I'd rather pay $500 for a CPE anyday of the weak, than give
up that feature. It the Blackberry feature of Fixed Wireless gear.

  My point here is not to just defend Trango, but to iterate that there is a
huge open market for quality CPEs and APs. It is NOT a saturated tough
competitive market. Next to nobody is making a product to meet a WISP's full
need. A single feature can justify a product's survivabilty.

Whats our alternateive? Buying a $10,000 WiMax AP?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband