Charles,

I use tranzeo for my 802.11b/g clients since about 2 years ago or so.  I
am now deploying the NS 2 as I can.get units and where approiate.  I
will still use the tranzeo cpq-15, (think it replaced by the sl2 now),
and the cpq-19 as needed.

Charles Wu wrote:
> So, seeing the activity on this latest thread regarding Nanostations has
> peaked my interest...so, to satisfy my own curiosity,  I decided to do some
> research on Nanostations
>
> (I'm making a lot of assumptions here, so please correct me if I'm wrong, as
> I'm a relative newbie to this segment of the market)
>
> Now, it seems to me that the Nanostation, although cheaper in price, due to
> being limited to running CSMA/CA, does not do a good job in competing with
> the Motorola Canopy / Trango / Alvarions of the world...people who buy those
> products are paying for the extra R&D effort put into developing a more
> "WISP-focused" solution than just "plain-ol" Wi-Fi

I'd agree with this.  I don't use that gear because an ap of mine might
only have 6 clients and I can not justify the high AP costs and high CPE
costs.
> That said, getting into the world of Wi-Fi CPE - for anyone who is not
> running a proprietary protocol, it seems that the current market leader is
> Tranzeo, however, looking at their site, it seems that their "value-line"
> (SL2) product still goes for about $130 and doesn't even have ½ the features
> of the Nanostation and AirOS

IMHO, correct.  But for light duty residental users, they work well and
allow us to keep the install costs down.
> If you're running Mikrotik in 802.11x (WiFi) mode, by the time you factor in
> the cost of the card, antenna, enclosure, power supply, you're back at that
> $150 / CPE level

I agree, and because of that, the crossroads has no appeal for me, yet.
I am considering them as a path to netstream on 2.4GHz to replace my
turbocell stuff, as most all of my turbocell gear was assembled by me.
> With the Nanostation at $89.95, why would anyone deploying a 802.11x-based
> WISP buy anything else?

Where its antenna gain is enought, I won't.  Where I need more gain,
I'll use tranzeo