On Jul 31, 2008, at 1:42 PM, John McDowell wrote:

> Without Sprint and Clearwire, WiMax has no chance at success, which
> leaves
> AT&T and Verizon ( who will come into Rural Markets eventually) and
> their
> LTE plans. To not support Clearwire, is to support AT&T and Verizon,
> two
> companies that will hurt WISPs more in the long run that Sprint and
> Clearwire ever will. IMO

I can't agree with your perspective. WiMAX has already been
established internationally. Regardless of how WiMAX does in the US,
it will continue to be relevant internationally as a standard.
Further, many wireless operators (my company included) compete
successfully with at&t and Verizon in urban markets today. I don't see
how them deploying in rural markets is any different.

> Being for or against the merger will not achieve that. This should
> be a
> separate tactic of WISPA, but coupled with support for the merger.

I could see that.

> The merger solidifies WiMax's chance for success in America and
> abroad and
> opens up opportunities for WISPs to enter the licensed arena and to
> one day
> offer mobile services on their networks, thus creating the
> opportunity for
> added revenue streams from different types of service offerings as
> well as
> roaming. It also makes for an attractive exit strategy, if that is
> anyone's
> plan.

I don't see how the merger does that. Any WISP who wants to enter the
licensed arena can do so today.

-Matt