Matt what you migrated to?

gino

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Liotta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:29 PM
To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Cisco GSR Routers

On Aug 12, 2008, at 6:51 PM, Scott Lambert wrote:

> What if you figure in the cost of a year or three of trying to feed
> the
> GSRs enough amps to keep them passing packets and enough amps to the
> air
> conditioner to keep them from melting?

For us it is irrelevant. We would need a VXR with a NPE-G2, which
already costs more than a GSR and is limited to 3 ports. Granted you
can expand the VXR with additional ports, but those are expensive and
have limited throughput.

> There have to be reasons that at least one NYC ISP was trying, and
> having some difficulty as I heard it, to give the GSRs away.

Most give them away because they don't scale well beyond 2.5Gbps. I
know that is why we moved away.

> Note: I do not know the current draw of a GSR vs the current draw of a
> VXR.  But I have seen the power supplies.

Depends on the line cards, but Ethernet cards use very little. I
haven't had one use more than 15amps of DC.

-Matt