Rick,

In all fairness, we have not "often" used third party Frequency Converters,
because of the cost. Additional input from those that have more experience
with specific models, would likely be beneficial to hear from.

What I can tell you is that it is becoming a popular trend to implement
frequency converter in manufacturer's product lines to lower cost. The first
two examples that come to mind are Trango's 5580s, or Ubiquiti's 900Mhz mpci
cards which are more or 2.4G chipsets with Freq Converters.  It doesn't stop
there... Similar concepts have been applied to some 18Ghz and 23Ghz brand
radios, to make them more affordable to make, integrating them with Wifi
OFDM chipsets. This approach resulted in the first 23Ghz to enter the market
under $6000 per link, that I was aware of.

I'd recommend that you look into the Freq Converters made by Teletronics, in
general we had found them to be pretty high quality converters, with no
complaints.

There are a couple of considerations to deploy.
1) when converting from a device that has a wide bandwdith to a channel that
has a narrower limited bandwidth, you often have to use a single defined
channel for that converter model. That obviously can reduce the flexibilty
of changing channels on the fly.
2) Just like Amps, the Freq Conv are designed to receive input signal at a
specified gain.  And likewise should be used with a Radio that can output
power at that specified level, to reduce creating distortion/noise. (Specs
should be disclosed by the manufacturer.)
3) There is also a difference betweem DSSS and OFDM Freq Converters.
Personally, I think its more critical to have a clean quality Freq Converter
for OFDM, that typically will use QAM64 modulations, that are more sensitive
to noise..

I think one of the exciting uses for Freq Converters might be to use it for
converting your favorate 5.8Gear to 3.650Ghz. But we have never done it yet.
Nor investigated legality of it for FCC approval

I think the first question to ask, is why the Freq Converter is needed.
Apposed to just buying the correct freq product in the first place. The
answer to that first, might define what freq converter design would be right
for you.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband