Most radios have some sort of intermediate frequency; the chips that
process the data don't work at 5.8ghz, etc...  Satellite systems work
much the same way; your 12ghz dish/directtv/fta doesn't work on an rg6
cable at that frequency.

The Alvarion BA-II tower gear has the downconverter electronics in the
outdoor unit. I'm not sure, but I think it was in the 400mhz range that
the DC+RF went to the base. They came with RG58 cables which technically
worked perfect, but were a bit fragile on the ends. We could run lmr400
300+ feet with no problems and use lightning arrestors that support DC
power. That what the system is for; so there would be no serious cable
loss on long runs. Probably most of the coax based split system radio
links work in a similar way. We've had zero problems with the indoor
portions of these systems. If there is lightning damage, it's typically
isolated to the outdoor part. I'd rather lose an outdoor unit than a
whole site's ethernet ports.

I'd tested the ubiquity sr9 cards when they came out; they convert 2.4
to 900. It picked up too much 2.4 interference from other radio cards
for my liking.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 07:28:19AM -0700, George Rogato wrote:
> I have some RF KLInx 2.4 to 900MHz frequency converters that have been
> on operation for about 6 years now. They work fine altthough they will
> soon be coming out and replaced with a new product.
>
> One place I thought frequency converters would be nice is on towers that
> are too tall to run cable for 5 gig.
> Would be nice to have a converter that lowers it from 5 gig at the
> bottom and brings it back to 5 gig at the top, this way the radios can
> stay at the bottom.
>
> Isn't that how Breezecom Alvarion did some of their stuff in the past?
>
> George
>
> RickG wrote:
> > Whats the downside to using frequency converters?
> > -RickG

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/