The thing to remember is that over a distance, voltage drops more at higher
amperage operation than it does at low amperage operation. Wifi radio cards
are constantly outputting at a wide range of amperage as it jumps back and
forth between transmitting and not-transmitting. So to optimally protect
your gear from over powering, you need to calculate the voltage drop it can
have at the lowest current draw, which will have less voltage loss over the
distance.

A good Voltage calculater is at:

http://www.demarctech.com/techsupport/poecalculate.htm

The most important thing to do is to make sure you use a "Regulated" power
supply.  A NON-regulated Supply could easilly have a 1-10 volts increase of
voltage above spec when not under load.

Its important to know that all Metro boards do not have the same MAX voltage
rating. You might not be able to know for sure that your Metro can support
up to 48V without first looking at imprint on the SBC listing such.  The
other issue is considering the impact that a electrical AC power surge will
have on the DC power that goes to the SBC. If you have a cheap PS it may
allow higher voltage up the wire.  A good quality hi watt regulated PS will
absorb the surge into its capacitors, to protect the SBC.

It may work, but I'd argue you'd be taking an unnecessary risk.

 >I have ran the board on the same 48v power supply on the bench and it
> ran fine

If the Metro board is on your bench, is it labeled a max voltage?

The 48V model Metros handled significantly more (I thought 56V)

But not sure on the 24V model metros.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband