Clint,

Inline...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Clint Ricker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Push to install "Mobile Broadband" on laptops

> Tom,
> The price structure of WiMax gear is, as you noted, structured such that
> the
> cost of the service provider gear is quite expensive (compared to the
> typical gear that most WISPs use).
>
> I disagree with your assessment, though, that this is designed as some
> sort
> of protectionist system to keep little players out of the market.

I agree, my original statement "intent to keep small players out" was
unfair, and I retract it.
However, whether or not there was "intent" to keep small players out is
irrelevent.
That is the indirect result that will occur.

>  Major
> service providers have typically followed a model where they will invest
> very heavily in their core infrastructure (headend / central office / data
> center / cell tower / whatever) if it means that it will save them money
> on
> the CPE.  They then market the hell out of the product to try to get the
> density such that the infrastructure buildout cost is relatively small on
> per-customer basis.

This is not something that occurs because the Large carriers are more
insightful.
It occurs because the large players have more financial resources, to self
fund and subsidize their deployments.
The current financial market would never allow a small WISP to execute the
same business model. (at least not with the profile of the average 2-7000
WISPs).

> Most WISPs don't ever get high penetration; they also don't, in my
> experience, focus as much on the marketing necessary to acheive any real
> penetration.  So, they are able to (forced to) shift the cost more on the
> customer side.

Actually, currently not true. WISP's current landscape has cheaper CPEs
also. We didn't shift the cost to the CPE, we just got rid of the cost of
the AP.

> If you are able to achieve the market penetration, then 15K
> (or much more even) for the AP is very cheap if you are able to cut down
> on
> or even eliminate engineered CPE deployments, truck rolls, and cut the CPE
> costs.

Yeah, but can it be done? WISPs live in a world of technical reality. Large
player live in a world where their job is to fool Wall Street, and fabricate
potential.
I still question the Super Cell design in many markets. Its teh low cost of
AP, that has allowed our company to grow, because we can isntall more APs,
in irder to start gaining adequate coverage to reach scale.

TheWIMAX dream, is that somehow the super powered single AP, miraculously
delviers the coverage. Its not the reality in noise filled markets.

In my mind, Wimax technology may be leading the industry technically, but
they have brought the industry 10 years behind in their mentality on
deployment/sales models.

Sure WIMax may very well work for Clearwires/Sprints, tha have the luxury of
National Licensed Spectrum. But not for the average WISPs.
Building a technical model that works only for the one or two providers that
can afford national licensed spectrum, is effectively turning ones back on
the the remaining WISPs in America.

I use the same arguement for Gigabit wireless technology. There are still
cases that manufacturers can justify the $40,000 value of a single 1 mile GB
ptp link in 80Ghz. But for players in competitive markets, with options, its
hard for me to jsutify anything over $10k, after I analyze all the costs
involved. The industry is held back, because the manufacturers are holding
back technology from being affordable. The capabilty is there. There is no
reason that GB gear can't cost sub $5000/link, and no justified reason why
GB gear isn't on every building on town. Instead, WISPs get smart, and they
leave 80Ghz spectrum sitting idle, and the buy 6-24Ghz, which they can
afford, that is fast enough.

> Of course, if you don't acheive the density, then you're pretty much
> screwed--no limping by on a handful of customers per tower when your
> up-front investment is 6 figures...

Yes. And whos capable of getting the needed density, realistically?

> Also, mosts WISPs sort of turn the system on the head by leveraging what
> is
> effectively repurposed LAN equipment (ie 802.11a/b/g chipsets) as service
> provider technology, so they can take advantage of the economies of scale
> for on the chipset side.  When you think about traditional major service
> provider gear, there's often only a few tens, hundreds or thousands of
> units
> of the technology in production (or often even less), so there's very
> little
> economy of scale involved, even by the largest of manufacturers.

Yes, but it doesn't have to be that way.  Intel views WiMax in the same
light as commodity products in the sense they think a Wimax card should be
in every laptop.
And the probably WiMax players, like the Clearwires, are the ones targeting
$29/mon residential mobile services.

Why is expensive WiMax needed for low end services? That 802.11a chips has
allowed business class services to be delivered at 10x the ARPU.

I think what alot of people forget is "mobility" (cell phones) is easy to
sell in scale. It sold at every retail establishment in town (Best buy,
circuit city, etc).
Fixed Wireless, is a different game. Its a one on one sales process. Its
tought to scale it cost effectively, to scale that is required to charge
next to nothing, and pay top dollar.