There must be some sort of tolerance. Units work between 48 and 55v?
Something to that affect.

-Cameron

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gino Villarini
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 4:08 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Alvarion VL Rackmount

Iirc alvarion vl are 55 vdc

Gino

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom DeReggi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:42 PM
To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>

Yes, the first place to start is to determine the Alvarion specs. 1) Max

power or amperage draw from the Alvarion VLs, and 2) min and max Voltage

tolerance.  I don;t have that answer for you. But please share it, when
you
find out :-)

The general rule is, you can make a combine POE system to serve
identical
distances as standalone POE systems. But you still ahve to do the math
for
stnadalone POE system. For example, You can take a 48V POE up 500 feet
easilly, to deliver JUST POWER.  But data will never go that high. If
you
had to serve height beyond Ethernet POE specs, you'd then need to do the

Power extraction up in a NEMA box on the tower.

Again, we did not do it with Alvarion, but the way we did it was....

We took standard standalone POE injectors (ones without integrated PS).
Valemount Injectors that are black, square, one led, and sell for about
$5-$7.
This allowed us to have circuit board connecting both Ether jacks for
reliability.
These models allowed a wiretie to fit between the PS jack and the CAT5
plug,
so it could be asilly secured and easilly individually untied in the
field.
We put one extra one inline for hot spare.
Now, we were doing 24v, so You need to confirm the injectors that you
selected allowed voltage level for Alvarion.
I know the little white half moons, can do 48V no problem.
If the standard 802.11 pin-out isn;t what Alvarion uses, then compensate

with the pin-out of the Plug crimping on.
We then laid them side by side mounted flat to a plywood strip.
We actually just screwed the Strip to the rack, because we cut it to
reach
19" rack.
It could also be glued to a Nema Box back, with construction plywood
roof
glue.
We cut the height of the strip about 6 inches, so we had 2 inched on top
and
bottom to Staple patch cable in place, with it still having room to
unplug.
IN one case we used screw in eye hooks, and then just strapped the cable
the eye hook for strain relief.
We then took standard two strand wire and soldered the round plugs to
them
(the kind that the standard POE required).
We then took two of those standard screw down DC bus bars (can be
ordered
from any electrician or electronic store) with like 8-12 screws on
thems,
and labeled them - and +.  Then of course screwed down the wires to
them.
(Just as easilly we could have soldered the eight wires togeather, so
all
the cables were like a 8 cable bundled single unit.)
We then Used a thicker guage wire, I think it was 16-18 guage and ran
that
from the Bud Bar to our dedicated power supply.
(Many power supply types available).

Whether it works is just doing the math of cable Voltage loss, and how
much
amperage the cable can take. See AWG chart attached.
Also see POE calculater at
http://www.demarctech.com/techsupport/poecalculate.htm
Its importnat to remember that the Voltage loss is different based on
the
amperage that is occuring at the time, so you don;t want to over power
voltage to compensate for the loss, to the extent that an inactive radio

would be delviered voltage greater than the radio could accept.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband