  From: Travis Johnson
  To: WISPA General List
  Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] referral programs

  Rick,

  It probably was me that said "never give anything away for free"... because
then there is no value in it to the customer.

  However, I think there is value in this type of a referral system. You are
basically having all your existing customers act as salespeople. And really you
are giving away a month for each referral until they get five... and how many
are EVER going to get more than 3 or 4?

  I guess another idea would be like you said, give them cash. I'm just not
sure $20 is enough... maybe $50 per referral would get things rolling? :)

  On a slightly different topic, we do give every employee $20 for any referral
(that includes installers, receptionists, bookkeepers, tech support, etc.).
This has worked VERY well and I'm sure has paid for itself every single month
from new customers.

  Travis
  Microserv

  RickG wrote:
Travis,

I thought it was you who once told me "never give anything away for
free". I've been sticking to that as best as possible with my company
and whenever I stray from it I get bit each time. I find that the only
people who truly appreciate our service are the ones who pay. In fact,
the more the pay, the more they appreciate it. The people I gave deal
to are the worst customers.
With that said, we are kicking around giving $20 cash for each
referral. I've done this in my past life as head of internet companies
and people love cash! If you really want to make some news, give
matching dollars to the charity of your choice.

Just my .02 :)
-RickG