> One of the problems with sensing as it is proposed, there are no
> provisions
> for the sensing to accommodate other unlicensed users in the spectrum,
> only
> TV stations and other incumbent users. That's a big problem if you are a
> WISP and someone fires up their unlicensed gear and takes out your
> customers.

You bet.  That's why I came up with the idea of time sharing as well.
Coordinated automatically and on the fly by the AP's themselves.

> The OET report on the testing of the devices still shows a very high
> failure
> rate of the sensing devices that people claim are working. There is no
> public comment period for that report and their conclusion is contrary to
> their own data. The sensing will also not work well in areas where a over
> the air TV users have to use a big antenna with a pre-amp out on the
> fringe
> of the TV coverage area. If they can barely pick up signal like that,
> these
> unlicensed devices will certainly not sense the TV signal and therefore
> think they can transmit. Those devices will then easily swamp a mast
> mounted
> TV preamp and wipe out the signal. As a WISP do you want to deal with
> those
> types of problems from people who aren't even your customers....seems like
> nightmare to me.

To me, we hit the greater good argument with this one.  I don't know about
your area, but out here almost no one is using over the air TV.  It sucks so
bad already, that we just get TV via sat.  I have the biggest TV antenna
that I could buy and I could still only get 1 or 2 channels at a time.  It
used to be much better, back when I was a kid.  But something has changed,
cheaper TV's different TX properties or something.

Mom and dad are less than a mile from me.  We put an amp on their system.
That didn't work either.

And if 2 people want TV and 10 want broadband?  And there is an alternative
(admitedly not free) for TV and not for broadband?

> If they are wrong and there is a huge production run of these devices that
> cause problems, that spectrum will be lost for serious outdoor wireless
> use
> forever. Those devices will end up being repurposed for things they
> weren't
> intended or at emission levels that are not what they are type accepted
> for.
> We know this is the case, it happens in the bands we use now and to be
> honest that is how this industry got started. Thing is when allowing that
> happen, you can't say "we can do it but you can't" to groups that might
> start different uses for the equipment that harms your operations.

Agreed.

> "Licensed-Lite" if approved will give you some official standing with the
> FCC against this problem of unlicensed devices. While you would not be a
> primary user or have exclusive rights, you would have protection from the
> unlicensed consumer devices. Today you have none of that unless you are
> operating in licensed spectrum.

Agreed.

>>From the beginning most who have followed the whitespaces issue have
> understood that the metro markets have little to gain by this ruling, the
> spectrum is that crowded already. This was never supposed to give free
> spectrum to the metro markets. There is too much money to be had to do
> that
> and if there were any amount of spectrum in those markets it would have
> been
> auctioned, plain and simple. That is reality. The whitespaces was to
> provide
> opportunity to the rural markets, with underutilized spectrum, to deliver
> economical broadband to the low density areas that do not have adequate
> service now.
>
> WISP's in the metro markets unfortunately will not get a lot from
> whitespaces. It really was never intended to be that way from day one.

That could be.  And personally I don't think that's a bad thing.  The 5.3
and 5.4 bands should work nicely for high density short range sites.
marlon