You got to remember a T1 can only deliver like 500GB per month. Comcast
users are complaining with 250mb bit caps.
And remember 900Mhz APs can only deliver about 2 mbps real world (after
considering not all packets are full size packets).
All it takes is 1 or 2 TIVO/NetFLIX customers, and the 900Mhz network to the
community is destroyed.
Its not an issue of "cost", its an issue of "available spectrum."  If there
is 50 consumers in a 900Mhz market area, with it their only source for
broadband, is it fair to give all teh capacity to 1 or 2 people, at the
expense of the others suffering?  Its about sharing for the common good, and
the good will that comes with it. There just isn't enough capacity to use it
for that application.
There is this mentality that consumers often have that is flawed of, they
can just transfer the masssive data at night when nobody is using the
network. They don't realize that the only non-peak usage time is between 1am
and 6am, about 5 hours, which capacity can be used up by 1 customer, to do
their NetFlix/Tivo HD movie download update.

Its a completely different story, in areas where we can get away with 30mbps
OFDM Sectors, FED by 300mbps backhauls, and GB fiber. These areas can use
Tivo and Netflix all they want, and I don't even have to charge them.  But
its a big problem, in NLOS markets.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband