From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Matt Larsen - Lists
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:57 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Mikrotik issues

I'm curious to hear why the client's VPN wouldn't work.   I haven't had
any problem with client VPN units working through StarOS.   Might be a
network design issue rather than anything to do with StarOS.

I would strongly suggest switching to a StarOS board with V3 and atheros

chipset cards.   If the rest of your APs are StarOS, having a few
Mikrotik APs in there makes for a little bit of a management problem as
they are not as easy to maintain as a StarOS AP is.   The WAR2, WAR4 and

X4000 boards all have plenty of CPU to handle 50+ clients.   I have one
client that has 120+ associations across four sectors with an X4000 and
it handles the traffic (and cbq bandwidth shaping) with no problems.

Other thing to check would be the client CPE ethernet autonegotiation,
especially if the radio is pinging without loss.   If you are using
CPQ19 units, you might want to change the autonegotiation down to 10
full and see if that helps.   Some newer switches and routers do not do
the autonegotiation well and you need to hard-code one side to ensure a
good connection to the bottom.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com

Steve Barnes wrote:
> not work for our clients VPN and the company that put up my towers
> replaced them with a RB411.  I was the Guinea Pig for their Mikrotik
AP
> setup.  I am a Tranzeo Guy and know little about MT boards been using
> StarOS Wrap for years but hard to get now. Is the RB411 a bad decision
> if so what should be used?
>
> Steve Barnes
> RCWiFi Wireless Internet Service
> (765)584-2288