One huge reason, powerlines are not constant impedance to RF.  Nor are they
balanced. This is like trying to pump natural gas down the water lines.
Pipe, right?  What's the problem?

It is never going to ever work as well as balanced transmission lines, let
alone coax or fiber.  And it is going to leak so much that the American Red
Cross in Afghanistan will be able to detect the static on their HF rigs.
This has been proven time and time again.

You can get BPL to work over a short range (like a mile) if it is running on
a three phase line and the line is very balanced.  Once it hits a cap bank,
regulator, transposition, transformer or anything, you have to terminate the
signal and figure a way to bypass the obstruction.

Once you put it on a single phase line you might as well go back to the old
G-Line concept (another oddity that ultimately failed).  Really BPL is
nothing more than G-Line.  As long as you don't care about vomiting all over
the RF spectrum you can do whatever you want.

I actually do listen to AM radio.  I want to listen to short-wave and ham if
I decide to do so.  A half baked idea like HV bpl has no place in ruining
valuable spectrum that is absolutely necessary in the event of an emergency.