My numbers are a couple years old, but I'll throw them out there...

$300k for a 20 year IRU on fiber into 3 major carrier hotels in Chicago.
$20k to bring the fiber to my NOC from the route.
$20k - $30k for all optics, routers, etc.

$500/month per carrier hotel for space.
$0 - $500/month per cross connect.
$500/month per exchange to join, though not necessary for private peering
(direct link to the carrier's gear instead of going to a public switch)

At that stage, I'd have connectivity to the following networks:

CIFNet
GoWebMan
Limelight (both exchanges)
Alentus
Alpha Red
Atlantic Metro
BitGravity
Honeycomb
ISC
Mzima (International carrier)
OpenDNS
Packet Clearing House
Steadfast
Tiscali (International carrier)
Ubiquity (not the same we all know)
Voxel (International carrier)
WBS Connect (International carrier)
WV Fiber (International carrier)
Your.org

Akamai and Google are in the process of connecting.

Obviously not necessary for my current operations, but a good value if I had
many of your networks where I am.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions