  From: Travis Johnson
  To: WISPA General List
  Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:39 AM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] Trango Apex

  Hi,

  Having used the "voltmeter" vs. LED method of aligning, I will take the LED
any day. One less piece of equipment to have to deal with on the tower, and a
much more accurate way to see the true RSSI on the link.

  And, I think we already did the "pricing" thing about 5 months ago, didn't
we? Seems like the Dragonwave was about $3,000 more for less of a radio... ;)

  Travis
  Microserv

  3-dB Networks wrote:
Tom,

Quick question, then my response... do all Apex's ship with the fiber port
in them?

I really have to bite my tounge... I don't want to get into what all
happened (basically I don't want my thoughts made public and the customer I
was working for to read them) but I was not impressed at all with the Trango
Giga product... I just helped install nine links last week.  All I did was
install and configure the radios, so yes they said 256QAM at 3xx Meg... but
I didn't get to test it with live data, etc.

What I will say, the alignment LED is a gimmick.  Give me a BNC connector
hooked up to a voltmeter any day.  First my voltmeter is going to read to
decimals, which is very helpful aligning long links.  Second, the LED is
about worthless if the sun is shining on it, you have to cover it with your
hands to read the numbers which was difficult on at least one link I was
aligning.   Third, positioning on some towers to align the link made reading
the LED difficult.  None of these issues are problems with my voltmeter, I
simply just use a strip of electrical tape and tape it to the ODU where I
want.

One thing I did like, the handles on the ODU of the Giga.  Made aligning 3ft
dishes a bit easier...

With all of that said, what is the price on the Apex now that the summer
special is long over?  Before jumping for Trango, I would encourage anyone
to show me a current quote and to see if I can match it with Dragonwave...
from what I understand I can come damn close :-)

Daniel White
3-dB Networks