From: "John Rock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'WISPA General List'" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:21 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 3650 Foliage

We have many 3.65GHz WiMAX Base Stations deployed and propagation has been
real positive even through some foliage.
Picture1 -
http://www.wirelessconnections.net/index.php?option=com_shared_private_space
&task=showfile&fileid=117
Picture2 -
http://www.wirelessconnections.net/index.php?option=com_shared_private_space
&task=showfile&fileid=118
Picture3 -
http://www.wirelessconnections.net/index.php?option=com_shared_private_space
&task=showfile&fileid=119

The above pictures are from a shot we had in Texas to a 3.65 Base Station, I
have more tree pictures.
The customer had an older original Alvarion VL CPE at 5.8GHz. They installed
the VL on a 40 ft guyed mast pole, to get good SNR. At 3.65 GHz from street
level(12ft AGL) beside the house we had -75 dBm and downlink/uplink at
64QAM/16QAM respectively we pulled 6Mb/3Mb and perfect Voice calls from the
truck. The WISP is thrilled with their coverage in the small town even
through foliage.

As you can see we shot between two pine trees and "through" the other trees.
At this site we were almost 1.1 Miles away. I would classify the foliage as
"light".

The key to everything is defining the word foliage. How dense is the
foliage? How tall? How much power at the Base Station and CPE? Diversity?
How far away are you from the Base Station?

MIMO or second/fourth order diversity at 3.65Ghz is not being done at the
CPE level yet and only on select type of Base Stations. At the Base Stations
with Second or Fourth order diversity we see greatly improved uplink
capabilities and a lot better connectivity in NLOS environments because of
the improved Uplinks. Passing reliable data at -85 to -92dBm is obtainable,
although I highly recommend only installing clients with "good" signal
strength. Most systems require -74 to -78dBm or better to achieve reliable
full burst rates(64QAM3/4)...When CPE become available with MIMO we can
expect even better sensitivity in the Downlink also. It becomes a question
on how long it takes the vendors to implement 802.16e flavored in 3.65GHz.,
Mid/Late 2009 is my bet.

We can build an RF system at any frequency that can get through foliage, it
comes down to how much do you want to spend to get that type of coverage
within your areas terrain.

Thinking 3.65GHz can cover through foliage at long range is a myth. And I
understand that most operators want to cover 50 miles NLOS from a single
tower site at 75' AGL...

700 MHZ can work better if you own that spectrum for use? 3.65GHz is open to
about anyone.

Thanks,
John Rock
Director of Operations - Senior Engineer
Wireless Connections
166 Milan Ave., Norwalk, Oh. 44857
ACCessing the Future Today!!
ofc. 419.660.6100
cell 419-706-7356
fax 419-668-4077
http://www.wirelessconnections.net
This transmission and any files attached to it, may contain confidential
and/or privileged information and intended only for the named recipient. If
disclosure, reproduction, retransmission, dissemination, disclosure, copying
or any use of the information or files contained is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by
reply transmission and delete this electronic mail.