On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Tim Barker wrote:

>What we're doing with Avansu is looking at scale. If you can bill
>thousands of subscribers a month you'd want to go with Canopy. If
>however, you want to offer a service to 30 or 50 homes, single
>site, it is cost effective?

I suppose it would depend mostly on what you are calling "cost
effective".  I have currently about 92 hotspots deployed in various
hotels, rv parks and other businesses.  These hotspots (some are
mine and some are partner locations) are all run with a backend that
cost me just over $1k to set up.  That's a one time fee.  It is
maintenance free and runs on a server that isn't even physically
within my reach.  Was that "cost effective" in the way you mean?
FWIW, this system generates an average income for me that makes it
very cost effective.  As to the hardware?  I can install Mikrotik if
I want and extend the system with any gear I want (such as low cost
NS2 devices) if I choose to do that.

And yes, if I wanted to offer service to 30-50 homes, the hardware
is NOT the part that makes it expensive.  Mikrotik (if that's what I
wanted to use) would cost about $250 to install.  Even less
depending on how I got it to an internet access location.  If I went
with a Canopy system, the cost is higher, but there are other
benefits to Canopy that many people don't consider simply due to the
cost.  Either way, I have a fairly low cost system that will allow
me to connect (easily) as many as 50 homes.

I don't know about your gear specifically, so don't assume I'm
talking about your gear.  It is not uncommon to see the lower cost
gear (specifically gear like Linksys, Netgear and such) needing to
be rebooted all the time.  It is typically not rated for the outdoor
environment where it often needs to be installed, so temperature is
a problem.  Mikrotik and Canopy hardware is built for outdoor
deployment and this problem evaporates.

One other issue that comes to mind is signal quality.  Again, I have
not looked at your equipment, but the radio cards I like to use with
Mikrotik are very high quality cards that generate a clean signal
and have very good rx sensitivity.

As for a billing platform, there are LOTS of choices out there.
Some of them are better than others and some are easier to manage
than others, but these do not require a specific hardware platform
in order to manage the network.  I don't know that your system is
good or bad, but I do think it is a pretty poor practice to attempt
to "boost" your product by knocking another as not fit for a
purpose for which it was designed.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *