From: "jp" <j...@saucer.midcoast.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Fw: [TowerTalk] Some spectacular views of
theabandonedRussian Woodpecker antenna array

Looks like a bigger version of the 8-bay UHF television antenna I just
ordered for OTA HD service.

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 06:33:25AM -0800, Marlon K. Schafer wrote:

Hmmmm, wonder how far we could shoot a wifi signal with one of these?
grin
marlon

This gigantic antenna system called Duga-3 is located near Prypiat
in the Chernobyl area.  It was built in the 70's as an early missile
 detection system (over-the-horizon radar system). It was also
called  the Steel Yard hence its distinctive appearance. The antenna
was  deactivated in 1989.

The Russian Woodpecker was a notorious Soviet signal that could be
heard on the shortwave radio bands worldwide between July 1976 and
December 1989. It sounded like a sharp, repetitive tapping noise, at
 10 Hz, giving rise to the "Woodpecker" name. The random frequency
disrupted legitimate broadcast, amateur radio, and utility
transmissions and resulted in thousands of complaints by many
countries worldwide.

Starting in 1976 a new and powerful radio signal was detected
worldwide, and quickly dubbed the Woodpecker by amateur radio
operators. Transmission power on some woodpecker transmitters was
estimated to be as high as 10 MW EIRP. As well as disrupting
shortwave amateur radio and broadcasting it could sometimes be heard
 over telephone circuits due to the strength of the signals. This
led  to a thriving industry of "Woodpecker filters" and noise
blankers.

http://www.artificialowl.net/2008/12/abandoned-giant-duga-3-system-antenna.html

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/

http://gigliwood.com/abcd/

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
   KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
Cisco Press Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
WISPs - Do you know where your customers are?
For wireless coverage mapping see http://www.ask-wi.com/mapping
FCC Lic. #PG-12-25133 LinkedIn Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackunger>
Phone 818-227-4220  Email <jun...@ask-wi.com>