On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 11:15 -0600, John McDowell wrote:
> We are routed, but from any computer on the network, we can go to any IP on
> the network. So its like our broadcast is routed, but we're still bridged?

If you have a router separating segments, then you are routed.  You can
still reach any IP on the network if you are routed.

> Anyhow, I have a potential Dr.'s office that is asking about the security of
> his information across our network until it leaves the NOC. How do you guys
> do network security? Vlans? PPPoE?  What can we do to ensure that we can
> comply with HIPAA standards for potential clients like this?

First, you are not required to be "HIPAA compliant".  That requirement
is on the Doctor's office.  As for security of his data, you can offer
him an encrypted tunnel (take your pick for what type) that extends from
HIS router to YOUR border router.  This does not improve his security,
but is a "feel good" attempt to show that you are doing all you can to
help.  As for HIPAA requirements, even if you encrypt 100% of his
traffic from your demarc all the way to your border using mil-spec
quality encryption, it will STILL be clear from the endpoint of the
tunnel toward the internet.  Once you explain this reality, then even
the most difficult clients (I have done a lot of work in the pharmacy
industry) will either choose to pay the extra $$ for the added security
or they will "see the light" and save their $$ for something nice for
themselves.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *