For a campus wireless network (~30K people), I'm researching the
possibly of creating a seamless roaming solution using using Redback to
be the endpoint for approximately 500-1000 L2TP tunnels using BCP
(bridge control protocol) encapsulation

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2661.txt (L2TPv2, not L2TPv3)

Cisco 7200s work, I'm told.  And then I could bridge together some of
the these aggregate points via MPLS so that all of this wireless traffic
does not hairpin back to the datacenter and congest the line.

But others have told me that the Redback solutions would be a much
better solution if for networks with millions of subscribers.

Does anyone have any advice on Redback here?  Or does anyone have any
other suggestions on solutions that would scale better?