We are using a routed backbone with Mikrotik's OSPF. We have Mikrotik
working without problems with product from ImageStream, Cisco, and Juniper.
I haven't tried anything MPLS yet, we've been too busy to experiment with
it.

The only troubles I've ran into with Mikrotik OSPF has been the occasional
reboot required when we have a backhaul link flapping constantly, as well as
some problems with some redundant customer routing.  We have several
customers that are paying extra for redundant links, we are giving them a
/30 and installing a Mikrotik router with OSPF running.  We've had a time or
two where our normal traffic would route through their connection instead of
our backbone(not sure why), but that was fixed when we started filtering the
advertised routes.

I don't remember who it was, but about two years ago I visited with a WISP
that was running several thousand customers on a bridged network (STP IIRC).
They were using the MAC dst-nat functionality to forward all broadcasts to
their PPPoE server at one end of the network, they said it was working very
well for them.

-Kevin Neal
Safelink Internet