From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Brian Rohrbacher
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:08 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] [Motorola II] Broadband Stimulus Act Representation
Financial Needs

I think $500 for this type of representation would is reasonable.
Now I need 59 more people to agree....

Question, what if three months go by and we have not gotten anywhere?
It's not hard to believe that 3 months could go by and it's realized
that we need another 3.  I mean, can you get anywhere with the
government in three months?  Can we get a 6 month  quote?  Would we have
to pay it all if we feel our goals are realized after 4 months?

Brian

Rick Harnish wrote:
> Craig,
>

> Obviously any donation will be appreciated.  I believe some of the larger
> WISPs will be willing to put in $500-$1000 towards this effort, knowing
the
> importance to their business.  I spoke to Steve Coran a short while ago
and
> expressed concern over the quick pace this legislation is being pushed
> through Congress and what would be done from his perspective over the next
> three months.  He will be getting me a plan of action shortly and also
> stated that once it makes it through Congress, it will be sent to the FCC,
> NTIA and USDA for Rule Making.  At this time, our lobbying efforts will
need
> to be moved from Congress to these Departments to help construct the rules
> and policy in which this money will be dispersed.
>

> We appreciate your contribution and know that we don't want to unduly
burden
> your business with this contribution.  We do however see the need for
> everyone to put up a little so that the aggregate donations can be used to
> protect our interests.  If you would rather make a smaller donation
monthly,
> that can be done as well.  Please state that when making your pledge.
Every
> little bit helps!
>

> With that said, I also encourage anyone who is not a member of WISPA yet
> sign up and support WISPA and these efforts with membership dues.  If you
> have been procrastinating or don't think WISPA does enough for you, please
> reconsider and go to http://signup.wispa.org and apply today.  For the 30
> new members or so that have joined in the last few weeks, we appreciate
your
> support.  Our billing personnel has had some illness in her family
recently
> and is running behind on invoicing.  She will be getting caught up very
> soon.  Thank you for your patience.
>

> Respectively,
>
> Rick Harnish

Congress
> as I speak.  I feel that it is imperative that we as a group work
diligently
> to lobby our congressmen on the abilities of WISPs to meet the Broadband
> Deployment Issues at hand.  There is a large amount of funding that will
be
> made available for Broadband Providers to extend their networks.  We need
> speak up and be heard NOW or we may not have access to this funding in the
> process of awarding Grants and Loan Programs.
>

> To do this, we need to hire representation as a group to make sure our
> interests are heard as this policy and procedure is defined.  We have
> received a quote from Steve Coran, Rini-Coran and Mercury Strategies to
> represent WISPA for three months for a fee of $30,000.  I have attached
this
> proposal for your review.  The Board has this proposal under consideration
> and Tom DeReggi is heading the Legislative Committee to work directly with
> Rini-Coran and Mercury through this process.  Our concern as a board is
that
> this fee on top of the fees incurred for the TV Whitespaces work that
> Rini-Coran is doing for us will rapidly deplete our financial resources.
> However, it is very valuable work that needs to be done to insure that the
> WISP industry has a future.
>

> Our dilemma is that we need to raise additional funding from our members
> insure that WISPA can still exist and remain a meaningful Association to
> represent your interests as this Broadband push continues in the future.
> am seeking voluntary donations from individual operators and Vendors to
> assist in making this happen.  We have always kept dues low to make sure
we
> included even the smallest WISPs but our fees do not allow us to have the
> resources to lobby the way we should.  We will publicly post the company
> names of those who donate to this cause and I am seeking suggestions on
how
> we can compensate those who donate with some sort of preferential
treatment
> in the process of obtaining grant writing resources and prioritizing those
> grant applications in the work flow in good measure for your donation.
This
> is a very resourceful group of operators and I encourage your
participation
> in deriving this plan.
>

> WISPA is growing daily in membership and respect amongst the
> telecommunications industry.  With a new website on the way, potential
costs
> of Association Management, TV Whitespaces Lobbying efforts, US Broadband
> Coalition strategy and other upcoming expenses, I see no choice but to
bring
> this to the membership for input and review.  We are on the verge of doing
> something to insure our placement in the future.  We all need to help one
> another.
>

> If you would like to speak to me directly, please call me at 260-827-2482.
> I prefer email but will speak to anyone, time allowing that would like to
> talk.
>

> Respectfully,
>
> Rick Harnish
>
> President