I don't know the specifics of the Charter bankruptcy, but I've been
working in telecom long enough to know that most "traditional" service
providers do have to take on massive amounts of long-term debt to
build out their infrastructure.  Buildout of wireline networks is very
capital intensive, involves large long-term loans, and does have a lot
longer ROI than say, a wireless AP (most independent wisps build their
ROI around months rather than years).  On the other hand, the
infrastructure holds its value a lot longer (deployed cable HFC will
be commercially viable a lot longer than the current generation of
PTMP radios, deployed GPON FTTN even more so (all assuming some
swapouts of gear at the CO / headend every few years).

Debt is necessary part of most telecom buildout, and lenders knowingly
assume some of the risk in return for interest on their loans.  The
difference between Charter failing and other telco's / cable companies
succeeding isn't "business model" per-se (they all have, at some
level, the same business model) but is more likely the mundane issues
that usually lead to business success or failure -- execution, etc...

-Clint Ricker

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Marlon K. Schafer <o...@odessaoffice.com>
wrote:
> Wish I could just write off my debt and still be in business.
>
> This kind of thing is just wrong.
>
> Go so far in debt that there's no way out.  Work off of a bad business
> model.  Then stick everyone else with the bill and walk away in a few years
> totally in the clear.
>
> it's BS
> marlon

Clint Ricker