I can only quote the MotoMesh Duo today... MotoMesh Solo though is probably
more along the lines of what you want... either way your not going to like
the price if your trying to do it on the cheap.  The sell to a city or
county though should work though with more expensive gear because they can
get grants, etc. for public safety.

4.9GHz to the car though is going to be hard to do without a Mesh system...
and Mesh is costly.  I'd hate to be the one to sell a homebrew 4.9GHz system
to a government agency and have it not perform as advertised.  You also need
to be careful... 4.9GHz is part 90 not part-15 so FCC compliance should be
high on your list.

Daniel White
3-dB Networks
http://www.3dbnetworks.com