I'd just hate to be the guy deploying a 4.9GHz homebrew system that the
police/fire come to depend on and have it fail on me and someone die because
of it.  Systems like these should cost a lot of money to be built very well.
The FCC would really be the last person I would be concerned about. it's the
wrath of the city when a mission critical system like this fails.

I've heard a lot of stories from Motorola two-way guys how they could go
into meetings and cities would buy their two-way gear and pay the extra
price because no one wants to take chances with people's lives.  Help the
city find the grant money to purchase a system like Moto's. and your going
to be the hero big time.  Take it one step farther and do a Motomesh Quatro
deployment. have grant money pay for the gear. and use the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
coverage you now have to sell service.  Since the gear is paid for your ROI
is in a much better situation than the average muni-wifi project.  Or take
it one step further and get the water department to use it for meter
reading, etc.

At the end of the day money isn't an issue really for something like this.
its just about getting the right people together and FINDING the money for
it.

Daniel White

3-dB Networks

http://www.3dbnetworks.com