Sadly WISPs have dragged their feet in development of true mobility
and roaming. These features are the true differentiators of wireless
broadband over DSL or DOCSIS. The cellular industry is more quickly
adapting to the need to move to an IP centric platform for their
mobile voice/data systems than we are in recognizing the compelling
desire of everyone to have everything available to them everywhere
with mobility. Land lines are going away and wireless MOBILE phones
are increasing in quantity. WISPs may well lose out in the end if they
do not band together to form interoperability standards for mobile IP,
VoIP, roaming, etc. Last I checked there is not a single WISPA member
network out there which is fully mobile with integrated roaming with
another operator. Until WISPs do this they are doomed to a future of a
decreasing position in the future of broadband industry market share.
I predict that total customer counts served via traditional WISPs will
max within 18 months and then down turn if we do not address the
issues of roaming and mobility. If any of you have built a truly good
mobility roaming gateway solution which allows for WISPs to tie their
networks together and offer mobility then I welcome some feedback on
the subject. What about truly mobile and roaming capable voice
services over IP? Anyone out there ever build the equivalent of the
ASN gateway for our networks? I am ready to start negotiating
connection to this and right now we do not even have access to
anything to connect to.
Scriv