From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of Matt Larsen - Lists
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:22 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Using Tranzeo as CPE for rural community

A few responses here:

1)  You don't have to use Tranzeo APs with Tranzeo CPEs.    The new
Tranzeo APs (EN-500 series) does have a lot more management features
than the older Tranzeo units (TR-6000, TR-5a).   You can also use StarOS
or Mikrotik APs and have all the centralized management and advanced
features that you could possibly want for an 802.11 network.
2)  The older CPEs do need to be rebooted occasionally.   The newer
units do not seem to have this same problem.
3)  I tend to disagree with comments that the cases are poorly
designed.   The Tranzeo radios have substantial internal grounding and
have a very high degree of tolerance for environmental extremes, both
hot and cold.   They are built like tanks compared to the PCB in a
plastic case design of the Ubiquiti and Motorola Canopy radios.   The
cable boot is not that bad to work with, but they could be improved.
4)  Tranzeo is RUS approved.   I would have to dig up the link, but I
did determine that they will qualify for RUS or stimulus financing.
5)  They work great for PTMP, and there are hundreds of thousands of
Tranzeos out in the field providing PTMP service to WISP customers.  The
2.4ghz models have the same limitations of all 802.11b gear, but the
802.11a based gear is especially capable and a great value.

Hope that helps.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com